Thursday, February 3, 2011

This week's RTD adventure

I told myself after the first couple times that I tried to drive in the yucky, and might I add, dangerous Colorado weather that I would start riding the bus to work for my safety and more importantly so that my level of anxiety will stay at a normal level. Well as all of you know, the weather has been pretty miserable across the country, hence my new experience with RTD. I have to admit riding the bus to and from work has been the most humbling experience for me. Being from a small town my whole life, riding a bus was not even an option. Now that it is practically outside my doorstep (well not exactly, I have to walk down 3 flights of stairs and about 1/2 a mile to the nearest bus stop, but hey, let's admit I could use the exercise these days) it just makes sense to ride the bus.

There are so many great things about riding the bus to work. For example, I don't have to park all the way out in Lot 6 anymore! The bus stop is right next to the Student Center so it's a fairly easy walk. Today I started to read on my way to and from work (it's only about 10 minutes but it's nice to read a little something here and there). It is great for the environment and for my debit card! And honestly it makes me feel good. It sounds weird but I think it is something that I never thought I would do. In just a week's time of riding the bus, I have realized how much I take for granted having a car and having money to invest in gas, insurance, check-ups, etc. It has made me take a step back and really appreciate something that others dream of having so they drive themselves to work.

There are so many great things about the bus system here in Denver but I did experience a couple of moments this week that almost made me reconsider taking the bus. First of all, learning when the bus arrives and departs takes more time than one thinks. I have such a flexible schedule at work so sometimes I never know until the day of what time I will make it in or what time I will be leaving (no griping here, just a statement!). It takes a little time and coordination to get to and from work. Well on Tuesday night I was getting ready to head home from work and got caught up talking to a few people and work and literally missed the bus by 30 secs. So I decided I would just wait by the stop for the next one thinking it would be there in about 15 min. I didn't mention that this was the day that the low was -15 and the wind chills were close to -24. I kept waiting and waiting and eventually thought I was literally going to freeze to death so I headed back in to make sure that I saved my toes (seriously you can get frost bite within 30 mins in that weather). It turns out that I had waited outside in that weather for about 25min. Luckily I called a friend from work who works in Residence Life and she took me home after about 30 minutes of defrosting her car and scraping off ice.

Overall though, the RTD experience this week has been a great one. I am definitely considering making it my main mode of transportation to and from work (yucky weather or not). I will be riding the bus tomorrow since it practically snowed all day today and it looks like next week will be the same. Looks like 3 more days of snow next week! This Texas girl has learned how to still function in this Colorado weather (unlike my friends and family who got 3 or 4 days off this week). Lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment