Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Holistic Wellness in 2010

Throughout this past semester I have realized that balance is one of the hardest things to have in life. I find myself struggling with this concept constantly. Over the past couple of months I have recognized the need for balance in my life and have been researching the 6 dimensions of wellness (which as a student affairs professional...I try to instill in my students). I am not a big fan of "resolutions" because I believe we should constantly be setting goals for ourselves, not just one day out of the year. For the coming year I have quite a few goals, but one of the overarching goals that I have is to become holistically well. As I was researching for the dimensions of wellness to help set my goals, I came across this helpful information that I thought I would pass on in case anyone was interested in setting some goals in these areas or push oneself in any of these areas.

Just a quick overview in case any of you that are reading this (hopefully at least one person might read this) are unfamiliar with the 6 dimensions of wellness. The six dimensions of wellness are:
1) Physical
2) Emotional
3) Spiritual
4) Intellectual
5) Environmental/Occupational
6)Social

The information I wanted to pass along is as follows. This information breaks down each dimensions and gives tips on things to do to achieve holistic wellness. Enjoy!

1) Physical

-Get a physical examination
-Current immunizations
-Be consistent with self-exams
-Regular exercise & eat balanced meals
-Dental & eye exams
-Limit or avoid alcohol & tobacco
-Get a massage to ease tired & worked muscles

2) Emotional

-Recognize when your emotions affect your body
-Express your needs, feelings & opinions appropriately
-Use humor to defuse negative thoughts or situations
-Use journal writing to relieve stress & express your thoughts
-Talk to a trusted friend or family member and vent
-Give & receive lots of hugs
-Be optimistic-believe in yourself & your abilities

3) Spiritual

-Nourish yourself through personal beliefs, morals, and/or religion
-Feel connected with oneself & others
-Find purpose in life & meaning in the little things you do everyday
-Develop a philosophy of life that you want to live by

4) Intellectual

-Find outlets that are intellectually stimulating
-Set & meet realistic goals academically, personally & professionally
-Take advantage of opportunities that may offer you different experiences
-Decide on things that help you relax & do them
-Deep breathing can help the mind-body connection
-Spoil yourself after completing a goal

5) Environmental

-Appreciate & respect the environment
-Do your part to preserve & improve environmental conditions
-Have a place you can go to relax & chill out
-Whether it's at home or work, have a welcoming space for you & others to feel comfortable in
- Colors can be a great way to spice up an area-decide which one's light your fire!
-Reduce noise & pollution
-Keep yourself & others safe-buckle up!

6) Social

-Develop relationships where both parties feel good
-Ability to interact with others in public & private situations
-Comfortable adapting to various social settings
-Can stick to values & beliefs without being persuaded by peer pressure
-Join clubs to expand your social network, it's a great way to get involved & meet others with similar interests


No comments:

Post a Comment